Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The prototype has been constructed and tested!

Inital construction was from a 2L pepsi bottle as a container, a 12v lead-acid battery, 10g outdoor wire, medical airline tubing and steel grating.

Upon construction the plates were initially spaced at opposing sides of the bottle. When energized, there was some effect, but the result was minimal. No ignitable Hydrogen was produced, however it was visibly being produced within the positive anode. The anodes were bent with the curvature of the bottle.

I then flipped the anodes around so that it made an X shape in the bottle, the production improved however only in the areas where the anodes were closest to another. I am led to believe the proximity is involved.

I straightened the anodes out making them flat against themselves with 3-4mm of clearance. Sufficient hydrogen was produced to cause small ignitions of hydrogen. Small pop noises if you will.

I elected to make this design more efficient by adding in baking soda, trying to adapt the water into an electrolyte. This had a marginal effect, however raw table salt caused a huge difference. I would say 3 fold the amount of production. The pop was heard well through the house.

I decided to attempt the same experiment with hot water. And I found that the electrodes do indeed have to be in relatively close proximity to one another. However I found out as well that hot water has the same effect as adding an electrolyte.

So this 2 anode system was capable of producing ignitable hydrogen gas. And it performed best with the plates in close proximity, and better with hot water being used.

A side effect of the experiment that was present in all cases was a greenish red scum on the waters surface, and the water was tainted a yellow hue. I can believe this may have been crap stuck in the wiring, or the electrode was dirty. I will have to get some stainless steel or aluminum for a comparison test.

All and all, today was very productive. I learned that hydrogen production through electrolysis is possible. My design worked but it needs much more improve ments before we continue.

the mad scientist is going to bed. Tommorrow is another day, and perhaps a 5 anode cell.


No comments: